One of the most pleasing things about fresh mussels is how well they can be complemented by a variety of ingredients. It is no wonder that this bivalve, with nearly 800 species that grow world wide, has become a foundation of international cuisine.
This Thai Style Red Curry mussel dish is a favorite of ours and we think it really compliments the plump and sweet but salty flavor of our Pemaquid Mussels perfectly. The fresh ginger and red curry add just the right amount of heat while the rich creamy coconut broth is both dairy free and flavorful. Garnished with fresh herbs and lime wedges it is both colorful and delicious, the perfect dish!
Recipe shared from foodnetwork.com
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 pounds of Pemaquid Mussels
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai or Italian basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro and whole leaves for garnish
- 1 bunch scallions chopped (garnish)
- lime wedges as garnish
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven heat oil and saute curry paste and ginger for about two minutes on high heat, being careful not to burn. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, and lime juice and bring to a simmer, while whisking. Add Pemaquid Mussels and cover the pot. Steam for about 4 minutes or until shells open. During the last minute of cooking add the chopped basil. Serve from the Dutch oven or divide equally into individual bowls, pouring sauce over mussels. Garnish with chopped scallions, fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges. Can be serve with steamed rice as a main dish.